29.11.09

A Tracky Question


Looking at my blog fav list it will come to no one’s surprise that I love fashion. Like so many females the question of what to wear features high in my list of priorities and I always thought that experimenting with fashion is one of the best 'funs' in life. So when I started working in a 'proper' company (instead of for myself) one of the more difficult adjustments was the existence of a dress code. In the corporate world men wear suits and women wear (often rather long) skirts. (Actually, before moving to England I thought long skirts were exclusively worn to the opera). Now, I like wearing a suit, sometimes (I draw a line at a long skirt though), but what I like even more is to wear whatever I want and that depends on how I feel in the morning.

So when one day my morning mood called for a pair of black Michael Kors shorts and pretty much EVERYBODY at work had given me a rather obvious stare (so un-English) and I (naïve German) thought they were just admiring my outfit, I was taken aside and it was explained to me that the company had a ‘no shorts’ policy. Oh dear!

Luckily my boss happened to pass and intervened. "But you are German! You can wear whatever you want." Bless her. I don’t know why my German-ness gave me a licence to thrill (fashionably), but hey, I thought, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth! Since this incident I wear pretty much what I want and the glances have stopped. (I just ignore the mutterings around the corner.)

No problem with short dresses, satin leggings, even batiked jeans (they get a lot of positive comments). But lately I have become infatuated with the jogging look. I mean, really, you just can’t get away from it. I tried to ignore it at
Garance Doré in May, but now all fashion magazines feature the ‘trackie look’ and when I stumbled upon it again in the The Glossy my thoughts went wild: This just looks sooo comfortable, couldn’t it be the perfect pre-Christmas work look?
Sadly our tolerant, protecting-the-continental-ways boss has left us. So the question is: Do I want to fight my fashion corner? But maybe they’ve given up on me anyway.

P.S. Special Thanks to Sarah and Harriet for modelling!

6 comments:

Make Do Style said...

Yes long skirts are actually dreadful - there is no need to go below knee length.

The Glossy Editor said...

Thanks for the link! You know I support you in your quest for "track" fash:) xx

Anonymous said...

Hello, one of your trusty models here :)
Loveeee the blog, will definately be reading more and can't wait to see the rest of the pictures x

Sabine said...

Chef or model, that's the question... xxx

unocosa said...

hiya! just came over after reading your comment at the Sartorialist ... love the thoughts behind this post - and i think many of us have asked such questions ... i still do not find the answers :-)

xx

Rebecca said...

What a funny story! Just had the opposite experience. Visiting a conference in the States everyone was either wearing boring suits or dressing very leasurely. I would have appreciated a little more leisure chic - even in trackers grey! Hang on in with your fashion statements!