20.11.09

Scent & Sensibility

It’s not that I needed one… I was actually quite happy with my current perfume – oriental, musky, lots of amber – just what I like. But then November arrived and the weather turned bad and I really needed a pick-me-up. Whenever I need a bit of consolation from the dreariness of everyday life I go to Liberty London and stroke the handbags. The sales people there probably already know the sad handbag-stroker. And since Yasmin Sewell had gone on about ‘Pulp’ by Byredo in the shop’s magazine I thought I’d have a whiff of that, too. What a very strange olfactory sensation! Pulp is supposed to be ‘a compilation of exotic and Swedish influences creat[ing] an international fruit basket.’ And it goes on: ‘A dramatic composition focused on the idea of ripe, sweet, shapeless mass of fruit, an unruly and intense savor.’

I don’t know how Sweden smells (childhood memories are pictures of forests full of blueberries, wild streams with crabs and beautiful butterflies which my dad would make us look up in field guides, but no smell recollection). The combination of bergamot, cardamom, blackcurrant, fig, red apple, tiare, cedar wood, peach flower and praline (???) was intriguing but also slightly repellent (it must be the rotting fruit basket). Anyway, I had my whiff and moved over to the Frederic Malle counter (most charming French shop assistant!) and nearly bought Musc Ravageur (very much in my olfactory comfort zone). (Daughter wanted ‘French lover’ but I think she’ll have to wait a bit for this one). Then I remembered that we are in the middle of a recession and I will end up like Carrie Bradshaw – the lady with shoes, but no home – and darted out.


The problem was, I was absolutely hooked. For a week I would sniff at the sweater I had been wearing that day and fall into some kind of scented trance. All I could think of was I really wanted the pulpy mix. But how to overcome my financial morals? Easy! This could be my first christmas present from myself to me! (When it comes to persuading myself to spend money I’m actually quite ingenious.)


To help me through the long wait until Christmas I also bought one of their candles (Cassis - cinnamon, clove buds, blackcurrant, lingonberry, strawberry, cedarwood, black amber, birch). Beautiful fragrance and easy on the nose.
Naturally I can’t wait ’til December 25th. So now every morning I unwrap the whole shebang to get to my Christmas present just to spray a few secret whiffs of my smelly addiction. Come Christmas I’ll probably need a new one…

5 comments:

louloulovesbooks said...

Hi Sabine, thanks for visiting my blogette...I think everyone needs to know about the Poetry Library. It's a haven of hush. I too, go to Liberty for pick me ups, I'm too intimidated to stroke handbags but I do sniff all the lovely creams and perfumes. It is a temple dedicated to consumerism but one of the nicest ones I know!
{*}

ilovecoolthings said...

Hi Sabine!

Thanks for the visit love. The picture is from an old American Elle Decor. It's so diviiiiine.

x

Can't buy me style said...

Sounds like areally interesting fragrance! I think I may have to try it...

Tina said...

I love Pulp. Every time I go into Barneys NY in Beverly Hills, I always sprtiz a little on my wrist.

I can't wait to get a bottle.

I also love Frederic Malle. Lys Meditarane is my favorite.

I'm a perfume junky, it's true...

Joanna said...

I've never read tried Pulp, but I hear it's fantastic. So happy that you've fallen in love with it. I heart Frederic Malle, especially his L'eau d'Hiver, which I love to wear during the cold and rainy months. Une Fleur de Cassie is fabulous, as well.