26.11.09

Will Melatonin Prevent Me from Turning into a Zombie?

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. Dave Barry

I don’t know if it’s autumn or some strange virus – but I cannot sleep. I go to bed, utterly exhausted, read a bit, close my eyes, and then I lie there.. and lie… and lie… for hours. First I thought it was the full moon, but that came and went and slumber still escapes me. ‘I can’t sleep!’ I howl. ‘If it goes on like this I will get wrinkly and grumpy and ill!’ (in that order)

‘Maybe you are taking something that keeps you awake’ asks sensible husband. ‘Are you taking a new product?’ (He knows I am my best customer when it comes to supplements. In fact, when I’m working on a catalogue our kitchen is filled with all these great products I have to try.) ‘I haven’t changed anything.’ I say ‘I take alpha-lipoic acid and astaxanthin to stay young forever, acetyl-l-carnitine, chromium and CLA so I can eat as much as I want, ashwagandha and rhodiola against stress, lecithin and fish oil for happi- and cleverness plus calcium, magnesium, selenium, probiotics as well as vitamins b, c, d and e because you just can’t go without them.’ ‘Maybe you should stop it all, to see if any of these substances are the cause?’ ‘WHAT? Now I need them more than ever, since I have to function with hardly any sleep.’ No, I certainly can’t do that, but I could add something…

So when - again - everyone in the house is snoring, but me, I rummage through our kitchen and find some melatonin that we brought back from Australia. That was 10 years ago and the ‘best until’ date is 2001. I’m beyond caring; all I want is sleep.
Yes, it did work. I might have felt a bit drowsy in the morning, but the sensation of having slept is wonderful. I wonder, do I need to add another supplement to my daily regime?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you do take a lot of supplements! I hate not being able to sleep, its so stressful, so I hope you can get your much needed rest again soon!

Lucy said...

I love the picture to this article - its very sweet :)

Soda and Candy said...

Hi Sabine, you got a shout-out for your entry in my Mad Blogs competition!

Sabine said...

Thank you so much, Soda & Candy! Will go to your blog pronto to read the other entries!

BeckEye said...

I can only not sleep when I absolutely have to be up for work the next day. Any other time, it seems like all I want to do is sleep. I assume this just means that I hate my job and there is unfortunately no pill for that.

Sabine said...

I'm sure you're not alone, Beckeye. Who's cut out for work anyway?

Previously owned said...

I have that SAME thing haha but, you know what? It seems to be a blogger type thing. mostly with FASHION&art bloggers hahaha I think our heads are so full of ideas, we can't shut it down! lol

Finally got to check out your blog (the link you posted didnt work)
:)