6.12.09

Cheating with Chanel

Although I find it surprising that Chanel No. 5 is the scent to 'most likely attract a mate'* this information evokes memories in me. Nothing to do with romance, though. Personally I find the smell of Chanel No. 5 slightly repugnant. It’s just too woody, too harsh for me. (Or as Leonora Epstein puts it in TheFrisky: 'It’s one pungent aroma that came into style in the '20s and smells like it’s been in the same bottle since then.'**) But I don’t mind, because I will eternally be thankful to this old fashioned smell…

Physiotherapy exams were nothing to laugh at, and having been glued to my desk with muscles, nerves, tendons and ligaments for weeks on end probably made me slightly imbalanced. Anyway, I panicked, I didn't trust myself to get through all this. Then I remembered that our anatomy professor had mentioned he couldn’t resist a woman wearing Chanel No. 5... Perhaps he just wanted to see how desperate students can get, but I thought it was worth a try. So before the anatomy exams I stopped at a department store and gave myself a good spraying (I wasn't in a financial position to buy it then).

Did it work? You bet! I got the highest marks of all students in anatomy. To me it doesn’t matter if the professor appreciated my devotion to get through the exams or if he had an Oedipus complex...** Even though my
favourite smell is something totally different; No. 5 has been a fixture in my perfume assembly ever since.

If it's not No. 5 (or even if it is) - Is there a smell on whose erotic power you swear?

*Superdrug poll with 3000 women.

** She also mentions that it's the smell for guys with an Oedipus complex, since it reminds many men of their mums and grandmas.




5 comments:

Haltrup said...

Just because of that I tried to make it a bit fun by putting a smiley face on it.
Thanks for your comment!

Jen said...

thanks for the sweet comment haha :)
i actually have no idea what chanel no. 5 smells like for some strange reason. i'll have to check that out.

Anonymous said...

I love Chanel No. 5 and always will. Claire

Peaches and Cream said...

I like your blog, it's funny and clever, and thanks for commenting on mine a little while ago...I have always felt I shouldn't admit this to anyone, but I really hate Chanel No 5! I think it smells so bad! Phew, it feels good to get that off my chest!

Sabine said...

Well said, Peaches and Cream. We should start the 'I hate Chanel No. 5' club (although I can't really hate it because it probably helped me to get on in life.) And thank you so much for your nice comment!