26.12.09

Go Blogging!

When I started writing a blog I thought it might also be a fun way to connect to family and friends living in different countries and continents, maybe even reconnect to old friends I lost touch with. Blogging has turned out to be great fun and every day I’m amazed by the creativity of bloggers all over the world. To me blogging is entertaining, informing and inspiring and a new found way to communicate with the world.

Strangely the reactions from family and friends were often very different to what I had hoped for… 'A blog? What’s that good for?', 'All this information on the internet - that’s really dangerous!', 'How’s this going to make you money?' were just some reactions. Others plainly ignore it and though we might speak on the phone, skype or email they never refer to it, making me wonder if public communication is something to be ashamed of or if having a blog is just considered to be so terribly egocentric that it’s better not mentioned. (I surly don't dare to ask, fearing this would just show my incredible egocentricity.)

Do I sound whiny and full of self-pity? If so, I’m really sorry (and blame all the alcohol and food over Christmas, making me chemically slightly imbalanced). It’s just, before I can honestly say 'I don’t give a f…' I need to sort my brain on this issue. And for me it comes down to this:

1. Blogging is a great way to play around with visuals. For me it’s photography, something I wanted to come back to for a while.
2. It’s a great space where you can share thoughts and ideas with like-minded people
3. Yes, the idea of publishing one’s creative output unasked, hoping it might be of interest to someone is pretty egocentric, but, I think, rather a constructive egocentricity.
4. It’s a good way to organize yourself and your thoughts, and the (admittedly self-imposed) pressure of having to post something supports creative productivity.
5. Again, it’s a great communication tool, allowing people all over the world, who would otherwise never meet, to share their thoughts. (It also helps me to figure out what I’m actually interested in.)

I guess I’m talking to the converted here, but I’m really interested if anyone else had similar – or totally – different experiences (many bloggers seem to stay in touch with a big group of friends through their blog; so no technical challenges there). I can only say blogging gives me an opportunity to talk to incredibly interesting people all over the planet and I wouldn’t want to miss it for the world.

Wishing everyone a great start to the New Year. I’m so looking forward to more virtual exchanges. Thanks for talking to me, I love talking to you, too!

10 comments:

susie_bubble said...

Worry not as I have had similar reactions from friends and family and frankly, none of this should discourage you if you truly love blogging! It's definitely NOTHING to be ashamed of!

Sabine said...

Thank you, Susie! This warms my heart.

Tina said...

Hello my dear Sabine,

I had the exact same reaction from many of my friends and family. They didn't understand it. But it's ok. My life is so much richer now, because of the wonderful women I've met though blogging, like you! I'm so happy to meet you and to discover your beautiful blog!

Tina

aorecord said...

Not everyone is going to understand blogging and you will encounter some negativity from friends, family, and heck even strangers! The importance is whether or not you enjoy it? And would you still blog even if nobody came to it? At the end I think blogging is something you do for yourself not for anyone else =)

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

The Haute-Shopper said...

None of my family or friends had issues with me blogging, but it might be a different story if I had a very personal blog as opposed to a fairly neutral fashion one. Those who don't like your blogging probably don't like the idea of blogs in general and might be nervous about you putting yourself out there. But then again, I think Facebook, Twitter or the regular social networking sites can be more 'egocentric' or dangerous. I think it's easy to criticize something you're not too familiar with but you shoudldn't let that discourage you.

English Rose ♥ said...

To quote Little Miss Sunshine: "In life you do what you love, and you fuck the rest."

Keep blogging, we'd miss you =]

Thanks so much for the lovely comment

I hope you had a fabulous Christmas =]

Stay safe and chic darling
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

Make Do Style said...

Gosh yes don't worry none of my family and only a few of my friends read my blog but I wouldn't worry - it is a great way to write, have fun, be creative and read others!

Tights Lover said...

If blogging is what you love, than that's all that is important. Other people should not be judging what you love or how you choose to spend your time!

Sabine said...

Thank you for your really helpful and constructive comments. Would I blog if noone talked to me? I don't know - I really love the communication with other bloggers.

Poppy Gets a Life said...

Hi Sabine! I can relate to expressions of confusion - although slowly my friends at least are catching up to the world of blogs.

And now even my dad as indicated he might start one. Oh, the wonders of the world!

All the best,
Poppy xox