20.12.09

The Joys of Snow #2

I don’t know how long this will last, but right now I’m absolutely loving our isolated living situation. Suddenly there is so much time… Time to rummage through old trunks and finding kimonos bought in Japan, for example. 'Ah', I delight 'more kimonos'… I remember Liberty London Girl just recently showed us one of her great grandmother.
Did you know that kimono means 'thing to wear' in Japanese and that they are always wrapped with the left side over the right (except when you’re dead and are being dressed for burial)? They are traditionally made of silk, silk brocade or silk crepe and are often taken apart for washing and resown by hand. The belt, called obi, is tied at the back and the length of the sleeve varies according to the un/married status of the woman wearing the kimono.

Naturally we got it all wrong: Not only is the obi a belt I bought in Guatemala, we also wrapped the garment the wrong way round. The rather restrained colour and pattern as well as the form of the sleeve seems to indicate to my untrained eye that this is a kimono for men rather than for women. Bah, who cares? I just wanted some pictures in the snow…

Read more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimono.

18 comments:

Liberty London Girl said...

Hey thanks for the link! Happy Christmas, LLGxx

Chloe said...

thankyou for visiting my blog, i love the pattern on the belt

Federica said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment :)
Hugs
federica

J'aime said...

Kimono! I love that, brilliant, it's a really good contrast to the snow, and it looks so elegant!

J'aime
www.tinominosquared.blogspot.com

Anna Jane said...

This is really interesting; it's nice to learn about more traditional forms of fashions alongside the latest trends in pop culture. Thanks for sharing!

- Anna Jane xxx
(PixelatedBlonde.com)

Sabine said...

You have no idea how intrigued I am by the subtleties of kimono wearing, Anna Jane.

fadetoblack said...

i really like that belt on you!
thank you for the comment :)

have a wonderful xmas ++

scrapbook said...

it's so nice to have time to oneself! enjoy and maybe a photograph of the old kimono one day soon :-)?? xx

sioux said...

oooH! I like a lot the kimono, I find it is a very interesting piece of clothing because it can be used either as lounge wear for stayin at home, either as a jacket to wear with jeans and a tshirt in the weekend, and also it is an evergreen piece of clothing that never goes out of fashion! I love in particular this black and white version with the embroidered belt! excellent choice!

Tights Lover said...

Love the Kimono. Sometimes it is nice to be snowed in...it forces you to relax a bit!

Friend in Fashion said...

The kimono is gorgeous, as is the second portrait of you - so pretty!:)

www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

xx

SOPHIE WEARS said...

cute kimono..I own one in pink :D

heart charlie said...

Time is such a wonderful and priceless luxury! I am so happy to hear you have found time to enjoy life!

Sabine said...

fade to black and friend in fashion - I'm really flattered you are taking me for my 16 year old blonde model...

Haltrup said...

Did you take this pictures to your model? I think they're great :D

Sabine said...

Thank you, Haltrup. Yes, self-made.

Sabine said...

... Thinking of it. I started the blog to rekindle my love for photography. Now I'm dreaming of a really nice camera, e.g. Nikon D300, but this will have to wait a bit, I fear.

KIRAFASHION said...

Hello Sabine!

You look so chic at the snow! I would like to be at a cold country this time of the year...it is so romantic!!!
Thanks so much for you e-mail and for exchanging links to me! It is such a great pleasure to make new friends!!!

Merry X-mas!
Love,

Kira