17.12.09

Le Geek, C’est Chic! (is it?)

What do Dan Humphrey, Ross Geller, Hermione Granger and Hiro Nakamura all have in common? They have made nerdiness (or is it nerdishness) not only acceptable but even attractive. (I would like to include Marc Jacobs, or is this just too presumptuous? Plus, do you notice that fictional and real people are all the same to me?)

Even good old Justin Timberlake* openly flaunts his inner nerd. But is the mind-over-matter look really chic? And what does it take to show that you favour brains over brutishness?


Here's my list:
1. horn-rimmed or strong, dark-rimmed glasses
2. turtleneck sweater and/or
3. buttoned up shirt
4. cardigan
5. sandals worn with socks (in summer)
6. short fringe
7. beret (girls)
8. calculator watch
9. the Rubik’s Cube (No kidding, they are back! I’ve seen them around and they look as geekish as they did in the 1980s)

Since many of these items (especially no. 1, 2, 6 and 7) also remind us of French existentialism I think they can actually look rather sexy (anything French is sexy, isn’t it?) – for the rest – you tell me…

My conclusion is that though the geek may be past his/her hayday fashion-wise, combined with some nerd-no-nos such as a mini skirt, cleavage and/or high heels it can still look quite cool. Fashion, it’s all about balance...
P.S. 1 Normally friendly husband tells me the glasses make me look 20 years older but 'quite intelligent'. Now, I'm not fishing for compliments here (would I ever?!?!), but are nerd glasses really a deal-breaker with men, i.e. unsexy?

P.S. 2 The word geek derives from the old German word 'Geck', which is something like a clown. According to Wiki it is "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc." How geekish am I, mmh?!

*I had problems inserting this link but you can read more about Justin's fashion statement here: http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/12/justin_timberlake_does_nerd_ch.html


8 comments:

Keith said...

I love geek chic.

Anna Jane said...

What a brilliant post! For I have just got me a new pair of frames for Chrimbo, and I am SO loving looking like a geek right now. And I don't think I can take my glasses off. Yay for geek chic!
(btw you look gorgeous in glasses, so cute)

- Anna Jane xxx
(PixelatedBlonde.com)

Sabine said...

You are too sweet, Anna Jane! Thank you!! I just realised I haven't passed my nerd test yet, since I got close to a nervous breakdown struggling with the stupid Wiki link. I finally gave up. Just not my day...

The Little Fashion Treasury said...

Happy sweet thursday to you!
Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog ;)
It took me directly to your blog(s).

Wishing you a joyful and merry christmas!
Good Night & Sweet Dreams

Isabel said...

Yay, Hermione! She's the greatest.

Tights Lover said...

I love it. Yay for nerds!

My New Favourite Thing said...

Geeks are definitely having their moment but I think brains are always in style!

Lluviaschick said...

everyone has an inner nerd! at least I was one while in High-school...