8.12.09

The Return of the Tie-Dye

Normally I don’t mind November very much. Yes, it’s grey, dark and cold – but it’s still only the beginning of winter, which means the excitement of wardrobe changes (leopard gloves!) and the pre-Christmas spirit keeps optimism up. That’s normally… But this year here in the UK the weather tried to become a Blade Runner theme and there seemed to be no end to weeks of rain and darkness…

So can you blame me for trying to stay away from reality as much as possible by escaping either into the lives and stories of other bloggers or into the pages of a book? Unfortunately it seems I was quite successful because I was really shocked when Tommy Ton from
Jak & Jil informed us that all the fashion forward people are moving back to the 70s.

Hold on a minute! Didn’t we just move from the 70s to the 80s?? I must have slept through several seasons because according to everyone in the know '70s romance is returning in fashion'. Trying to understand what’s happening here, I have to admit it took me a while to accept the 80s look. Having done it before, it just seemed idiotic to me. Why would anyone want to go back to the times of Wham!, Maggie Thatcher and yuppies? But being of a weak character I slowly bend to stretch dresses, big blazers and shoulder pads and have started to like them (especially my broad shouldered, waisty Alexander McQueen blazer – so Dynasty!)
But it’s not to be. Move over Joan Collins, AliMcGraw is back.

10 comments:

miss milki said...

The first photo is so cool - love your tie-died pants! An leopard print gloves sound so good... you need little touches like that to sheer you up in the cold dark greyness!

btw I think the ARK movement is about more than just the t-shirts, of course you don't need one to do acts of kindness! I think its just a reminder. And all the profits from the t-shirts go back into the movement. Will you do the challenge?

Sabine said...

Thank you for your encouraging comment, Miss Milki. Totally agree with you. And yes, I will have another look at the ARK movement - promised.

Blogarella said...

Thank you for your lovely comment, Sabine. I've been exploring your blog and love it! Adding to my blogroll now... Bx

atelier said...

I am more a Sixties girl, but I do love tye-dye, so great that is coming back ;)

Sabine said...

I think tie-dye only got big in the 60s, but I'm sure you can give it a creative 60s twist.

bryna said...

great post. i definitely have a love/hate relationship with tie dye!

Kb said...

Awesome picture! Wish I could attempt some of this!

Rebecca said...

Just saw the Ali McGraw classic "Getaway" with Steve Mcqueen again and Ali looks so sexy in her khaki dress especially when being thrown out of the garbage truck. Interestingly the other female characters - especially the dumb ones - are all shown in this horrible bright coloured super-mini-dresses. The 70s were so awfully eager to show panties! Not so Ali who shows (not only) through her clothes (and look at all these cool bags too!) that she is the real cool cat. I just love this strong woman-attitude. BTW: Tie dye jeans goes great with khaki in my opinion, especially in cold winter days.

Sabine said...

You're absolutely right, her whole wardrobe in the Getaway is really cool. But my favourite piece is definitely the suede leather coat.

Sabine said...

Thanks a lot, Kb!