3.12.09

Walk on the Wild Side

To me the leopard print is a frightening development. Don’t get me wrong, I know leopard print has been around for donkey’s years and I really don’t care that it has come back with a big roar this season. Although, maybe I do care because it seems to be dragging me down towards a disastrous end.

Up to my late 20s, when it came to clothes, I hated anything leopardy. It just seemed the most vulgar, ordinary, cheap pattern to me and I would probably rather have gone naked. But during my 30s the barricades softened. Instead of contemptuous I began feeling interested… Could this actually look nice… quirky… maybe even chic? When in Italy I bought myself a pair of horse hide gloves with leopard print and I LOVE them. I actually wanted it to get cold and wintry so I could show off my beautiful gloves.
But now it has gone further. I can’t pass anything with leopard print anymore. When I go shopping my daughter has to physically drag me away from the wild print. ‘Don’t you think that looks nice?’ I ask tentatively. ‘No! It’s just embarrassing!’ she answers. Everyone knows what to think about women over 40 and animal print… I don’t care, I had fashion sense in my 20s. Age means freedom… Grrrr!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sabine, you are absolutely right giving a sh.. on fashion sense. Age is no boarder but a beautiful challenge - unless you are not looking like the old mean woman in 1001 dalmatians. I also was always very cautious with all kinds of animal print but frugally used and well placed it can look so fancy - no matter if en vogue or not.

Sabine said...

Thank you, Rebecca! The next will be a leopard scarf... or thinking of it maybe a dress, or a coat... I will end up like the woman in 1001 Dalmatians!

The Haute-Shopper said...

I felt the same way about animal print in my 20s. I thought it was tacky and horrid... I still don't have that many leopard printed items, but I'm coveting a scarf and I have a few shoes with the print. Oh and a top ;-) Who knows if this collection will grow, but as long as it's not worn head to toe it works.

Thanks for your lovely comment by the way. I'm fascinated by your profile, as I've also lived in several countries (incl. Germany) and moved around a lot.

Isabel said...

I love leopard print - always have and always will.

Sabine said...

You've got a brave heart, Isabel.

Peter Breese said...

Everything in moderation. I think it is worth celebrating mother nature's amazing patterns - so long as it isn't at the expense of mother nature.

Sabrina said...

this gloves are beautiful..i want them

scrapbook said...

leopard gloves - wow!!! i would love to have that!! it totally adds a spice to any outfits! great post, xx

San Diego Bed and Breakfast said...

I agree age is no barrier for fashion. Keep it rolling sabine. Great work !

on a separate note has anyone checkout this blog
http://internationalmode.blogspot.com
its cool if you like sartorialist you will enjoy this too.

xoxo