14.12.09

Why Oh Why Turquoise?

You just have to follow Tommy Ton from Jak & Jil: 4th of December it’s Giovanna’s handbag, 11th it’s heels, and - oh look! - on the 13th another handbag does peek-a-boo… There is no ignoring the signs - Turquoise is on the rise. Now it’s even official: Pantone has declared '15-5519' as the official colour of 2010. (I know there are a lot of links, but please STAY - you can check them out later!)

The combination of light green and blue, which is turquoise, combines the 'serene qualities of blue and the invigorating aspects of green' and is supposed to be an extremely positive colour, reminding us – according to Pantone LLC - of 'sparkling Caribbean waters and spiritual stones'.

Frankly, not me! Yes, it can be beautiful as a necklace, brooch or earrings, and it's just acceptable as an accessoire, but for clothes? Only for the under 10-years-olds or at the beach. (If at all)

But perhaps it’s just my problem. This supposedly invigorating green-blue combination makes me look like I was suffering from acute sickness (one would think a greenish colour should go nicely with reddish hair, but in fact it just makes me look like I’ve just thrown up).

I think I’ll give this up-and-coming hue a miss and rather stick with red. Although according to the Financial Times this is also a difficult colour to wear.

10 comments:

Tights Lover said...

I agree. I prefer red as a color.

I love your blog!

Sabine said...

Thank you, Tights Lover - Tights are sooo on my list to talk about and then I will need your expert advise (even more).

Terry said...

Good pictures!
Thanks for your comment :)

Kisses

ilovecoolthings said...

i love turquoise, it's so soothing.... i can't wait to see the turquoise waters in playa del carmen where i have to go to a wedding in June.... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sabine said...

Turquoise waters of Playa del Carmen sounds great. It probably really doesn't matter what colour you wear to have good time. x

scrapbook said...

hiya - Sabine - thank your for your very lovely words - and certainly, i will be very happy to add you to my blogroll ... your posts are very informative - i like that quality a lot!!!

have a fantastic week, xx

Nathalie said...

I once painted my bedroom turquoise, because I really like the colour.. but I can't say it was a good decision. But some turquoise sparkles will be beautiful for warmer days
xx
Nathalie

The Haute-Shopper said...

I love turquoise, but only in the summer and on certain beach-related outfits (i.e. bikini or a sarong). I agree, it's a little too cutesy for everyday wear. I prefer darker shades like red, purple or navy.

P.S. Thanks for your message and adding me to your blogroll. I'm adding you now!

Previously Owned said...

I love the oversaturated pics!!!
thanks for the lovely comment!
Moving has been... quite hectic haha
but it's going great!
Came to wish you a happy new year as well!
<3

northend style said...

That is funny that we both posted on Turquoise :) Great post!