14.2.10

Taking the Whiskey Express

Psynopsis Berlin Winter
Psynopsis Frozen Art
Just because I mainly go to Berlin to visit family and friends doesn't mean I don't know that it's a popular place to go clubbing. This fact just didn't come to my mind when I booked our flight home for Sunday early morning with Easy Jet. Ahh, let me tell you, little compares with the joys of sharing a flight with people who just about manage to stumble into a plane… (It's actually quite clever - Berlin night life is fun and relatively cheap, budget airlines offer good deals, plus you can save the cost for a hotel room.) The fact that some were so out of it that they were considered 'not fit to fly' and had to be led out of the plane amounted to about an hour extra waiting time. But after sorting this problem we all enjoyed a really quiet (if slightly snoring) flight home to London.

Yeap, Berlin was bitterly cold, but like so many times before I found the city a place where creative spirit can still thrive without immediately being crushed by financial pressures. Rents are still cheap and there are always new independent and interesting cafés, galleries and shops to discover…

It was sitting in one of these charming new cafés in the district of Kreuzberg*, munching a delicious French chocolate cake, sipping cappuccino and watching the manager building a snow man on the side walk that my friend (who is not terribly interested in fashion) asked me: 'Did you hear about the death of this famous English designer? He died in his flat in East London?' 'Alexander McQueen?!?! NO WAY!' It’s still such a shock. Why is it that genius and tragedy are often so closely connected?

Psynopsis Berlin Cafe Eiffel Tower

And n
ope, I wasn't in Paris… 'tis the bathroom of said café and I thought the interior so romantic; celebrating the city of love (one wall was covered with a map of Paris) – Just perfect for Valentine's Day!

*Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place, but if anyone wants to know, I'm sure I can find out.

25 comments:

J said...

oooh i would love to go to berlin! i have only been to the german airport once and that was all! happy vday!

Jen said...

I can't imagine hopping on a plane for a night out in Berlin - but it sounds so decadent! Although a mile high hangover... not so much.

Love that Eiffel Tower bathroom - very romantic, very charming. Hope you had a wonderful time, Sabine - glad to see you back! xx

Couture Carrie said...

Fun pics, darling!

Happy Valentine's Day!

xoxox,
CC

The Little Fashion Treasury said...

Happy Valentine´s Day, Sabine.

Voila ;)
I added you directly to my blogroll and I´m happy to check back regularly to read your wonderful posts.

Ohhhy yess.. too much snow here, too ;)
Love the photo of the "Eifelturm"!

Good Night and Sweet Dreams!

Liebe Grüße;)

marian said...

gorge images! Happy Valentine's Day,wishing you love,joy and glam kisses,
Marian.

Ruta said...

Gorgeous photographs. I would love to go to go to Berlin some day.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I truly cannot imagine anything more luxurious than hopping on a plane to spend a mere evening in Berlin - so glad you had a fabulous time, Sabine!

Happy, Happy Valentine's Day darling!! :)

Cindy Whitehead said...

great story about party hoping in Berlin - that's funny! Happy Valentines day.

SR@MyStyle said...

So pleased you had a great time, hope you had a lovely Valentines day too!

Pratishtha Durga said...

For me the notion of terribly cold weather does not exist. Mumbai has no winter, because it has summer al year round.

Love your Berlin trip. It sounds like so much fun.

Raquel said...

what a lovely bathroom! oh and berlin looks crazy cold, and I am here complaining about the cold when i don't even get snow!
x

KIRAFASHION said...

Berlin seems to be a great city to discover and I do wish I can trip to the city some day...

all my best!
Great post!

Kira

Fashion Court said...

that sounds so fun! love the pics, xo

Clare said...

Wow it sounds like fun! It looks really cold, but also really beautiful!

To answer your question: I am in NYC :) we got a bunch of snow a few weeks ago

Zenobie said...

Welcome back Sabine! I'm glad you had a good time :-)

fayeee said...

I love sitting in forign cafes, you get a certain feel but a good feel of course.

Kallie said...

they had to be led off a plane!? WOW. they must have overindulged.
that bathroom shot is gorgeous :) you've totally got me wanting to go to berlin.

Lions, Tigers and Fashion OH MY! said...

so much snow!

Grace said...

There's something so sad and beautiful about Berlin.

Love Grace.

Joanne Faith said...

Awh, beautiful. I would love to spend time in a bathroom with a map of Paris on the wall! How surreal..

http://www.joannefaith.com

LENORENEVERMORE said...

Always enjoy your captured images~
hope to visit Berlin someday~
xo*

Couture Millinery Atelier. said...

The images are so beautiful! Magical even. I love Berlin... I have visited it so many times, but always in the Summer - it look so different all covered in snow. :-) New York is snowy too. This time Winter here spoils me with snowflakes - I usually miss snow very much. Wishing you wonderful week ahead! :-)

atelier said...

tragedy is always around in fashion... I love the pictures, hopefully you'll enjoy Berlin!

Jess said...

haha yeah i'm hopping on an early flight from london in a few weeks and i'm planning to just get on it already inebriated

Blicious said...

gorgeous pictures! your blog is so cute.

xoxo