16.2.10

Jean Patou - The Here & Now

Psynopsis Vintage Jean Patou Studded Skirt Fabric
"The modern woman leads an active life, and the creator must therefore dress her accordingly, in the most simple way, whilst maintaining her charm and femininity." Jean Patou

I'm feeling a bit out of sync wanting to talk about my latest vintage find while everyone else is going on about the newest collections. Normally I'm not even such a big fan of old clothes. Don't get me wrong, my wardrobe consists of lots of old garments, which I love because these clothes once belonged to my grandma, or my mum or my dad or someone else I have an affinity to; but I usually don't get a big thrill from second hand clothes. Only sometimes…

It was when we were rummaging through delicious ball gowns in '
Sterling Gold', a shop that specializes on vintage dresses (so what am I doing in a vintage shop anyway you might rightly ask…), when my eyes fell on this skirt and top adorned with little metal discs (or are they dots?) by Jean Patou. 'I don’t want nothing for myself', I think, 'nooothing!' Well, that was that. The costume fits like a glove (so much so that every time I dare to eat I feel guilty), but that's fashion for you.

Apart from the name and that it was quite a famous fashion house in the 20s (and in strong competition with Chanel), I didn't know much about Jean Patou. 'Joy' comes to mind, the famous and expensive perfume. But did you know that Monsieur Patou is cited as the inventor of the tennis skirt and of knitted bathing suits? Together with Coco he was a very modern influence in his time, moving fashion towards the sporty and comfortable. Even after his death the house of Patou had some notable Art Directors – a 20 year old Karl Lagerfeld, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Christian Lacroix… I just wish I knew from which period my piece is from.

skirt & top: jean patou, shoes: marc by marc jacobs

31 comments:

Jen said...

This is so gorgeous, and it sounds like it could have a really interesting history. I love vintage shopping for this exact reason! :)

Cindy Whitehead said...

Its beautiful - what a great find!

Zenobie said...

What a great find! I love the little gold studs. It looks fabulous on you. Vintage sopping is sometimes hit and miss but when you come across a special piece it is such a great feeling.

fadetoblack said...

ooo i do love studss!!!

Sabine said...

Studs! That's the word. Thank you! I just hope they stay on...

Clare said...

Oh my! Studs make me sublimely happy!

Sonya said...

Love the studded dress!

www.sonyasark.blogspot.com

Lenka James said...

cute shoes <3

Fashion Addict said...

I love these photos, very nice! And the shoes are really cute, btw.

MissKellie said...

Oh my! You look fantastic in this outfit! It's like it was made for you! :)

http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

The Fashion Bloggess said...

wow your blog is soooo adorable! love all your posts! such an inspiration! definitely bookmarking you! hope you can stop by my blog sometime :) xox

SR@MyStyle said...

Hi there-wow, you struck gold, it looks divine and is a very covetable piece indeed, well done!!

cαro said...

i loveddddd Sterling Gold! Do they still have the rack of vintage sunglasses? that was my favorite part. of course, it was really hot when i was there...

Joanne Faith said...

This is an incredibly beautiful and amazing dress. A really fantastic find..

Anna Jane said...

This really makes me want to try out a bit of vintage shopping myself! I'd be rubbish at trying to find anything though.

Even though you say "everyone else is going on about the newest collections", this dress could easily be confused for something brand new, considering studs/gold embellishments on black fabric are all the rage at the moment. This is definitely a classic dress though and suitable for many an occasion. Great find Sabine!

- Anna Jane xxx

Sabine said...

Thank you, Anna Jane! Yes, I thought along the same lines and was wondering if I could find similar cuts and styles in the newest collections... Just finding the time is always an issue... Perhaps another day?

Delighted Nerd said...

love the studded dress so edgy
great blog, follow and comment
http://fashionaddress.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous dress, darling!
Love the quote too!

xoxox,
CC

Laetitia´s Comptoir said...

Love that dress! It´s beautiful!

LENORENEVERMORE said...

absolutely stunning...love the texture on the woven fabric as well~
Jean Patou has the best perfume bottle design in my humble opinion...
xo

drollgirl said...

i ADORE this outfit!! just perfect! and you look AMAZING in it!!!

Stacy said...

love it, so perfect

http://fashionhandglide.blogspot.com

kpeach said...

so francais-love xo

Lewis William said...

Your photography keeps getting better and I love the quote!

Cafe Fashionista said...

Sabine. Your dress...it's like heaven on earth. The gold studs on the black make me think of stars twinkling in the night sky. I think I'm in love!! :)

anacecilia said...

that dress is unbelievable! i love it! i might try to make something that amazing one day!

Winnie said...

Wow! So gorgeous, quite in love with the studs on the dress!

Pratishtha Durga said...

I think I forgot to breathe for a second. This is beautiful, and reminded me of one of my favorite dresses.

I have some old sari from my mother who recently passed away, and I hope I will be able to do justice to them. They have such an old world, ethereal feel to them. They can bring romance to life on even the dullest of days.

Haute World said...

Beautiful outfit... it does fit you perfectly and I love those little silver dots. Subtle but still eye-catching. I only associate Patou with Joy these days (my mother had that perfume at some point)... such a shame when fashion houses disappear, but then again, in some cases it's better they aren't revived by less capable designers.

P.S. Loved your post about Berlin. I've always marveled how cheap rents remained and how in general pricing is great considering it's the capital of Europe's largest economy.

kendal croix said...

always love for black and white spots.

I'm Heraid said...

WOW I love that dress!!!!!!!!
heraid.blogspot.com :]]]