11.3.10

Magical Moments at Wunderkind

Psynopsis Wunderkind Collage
Do you remember JOOP!? JOOP! was a rather well known fashion brand in the 80s, run by German designer Wolfgang Joop. Though I can’t remember much of his designs I did not forget that I once read an interview in which he complained about the widespread habit of wearing sports gear instead of proper clothes. End of the 90s he sold JOOP! and moved back from New York to his German hometown Potsdam (a picturesque little town close to Berlin) where he started his new brand Wunderkind.

The colourful, whimsical Wunderkind designs seem very different to the sleek, urban JOOP! clothes (the translation for Wunderkind would be 'magical child', a term describing a very gifted prodigy in the German language) and the collections are shown in Paris.

Since there are no Wunderkind shops in London, visiting one in Berlin was on my 'to do' list. Berlin even has two Wunderkind locations – one proper big one which is superbly described by Haute World and a smaller shop in the hip area of 'Mitte' called Wunderkind Vintage. Although located in a very busy area the shop was nearly empty; the reason for which was quickly explained when we opened the doors to the shop: In good old German fashion the shop assistant did his best to keep us out. First we had to clean our shoes on a door mat (!) and when strolling around he enjoyed snapping garments from our sight, as if we weren’t worthy of seeing these beautiful things. Because beautiful they are – being 'vintage' they were from the fall 2008 collections and made with delicate, luxurious fabrics - the lightest of silk, the softest of cashmere – and bold, colourful prints and designs. Even the reduced prices were not in my usual budget, but I thought the cuts (especially of the jackets) were excellent and the clothes inspiring – the kind you would be willing to pay more. (That is, if I am allowed to buy something…)

What I liked about Wunderkind’s
a/w 2010 collection (shown yesterday in Paris) is that it went refreshingly against the minimalism trend, staying with strong colours and (animal and other) prints. It also featured beautiful shearling jackets similar to the ones at Burberry. I’m actually quite tempted to just bully my way past the shop assistant for a second look.

Original picture source:
Style.com

32 comments:

The Style Revolution said...

Ich Liebe Joop!

SabinePsynopsis said...

You do? Wow I'm so impressed. Excellent fashion knowledge!

Stéphanie said...

Your blog is FABULOUS ! I adore your style !!!

Castor Pollux said...

hi
i've put your link on my blog :)
hope u'll link me back
lol

cool pics!
i love wunderkind collection too!

Castor Pollux

Cafe Fashionista said...

All the color is just divine! It makes me think a bit of Lime Crime Makeup - with all the bright shades. Gorgeous post, Sabine!! :)

the style crusader said...

is there a JOOP! perfume... that seems to sound familiar? very cool photo. xx

SabinePsynopsis said...

Yes, I think the Joop! perfume has survived.

Couture Carrie said...

Loved this collection!

Cool pic!

xoxox,
CC

Audrey Allure said...

Amazing pic, love how whimsical all the colors are!

LENORENEVERMORE said...

Yup, my brother had the cologne...
This image is a work of art! Colour glorious colour indeed~
xo*

Jen said...

I remember JOOP!. Sabine, your photo today is making me feel trippy! :)

Eva Internazionale said...

Very interesting post! I might go to Berlin this summer and I'll keep it in mind. I'm too young to remember the brand, but I'll check out the new designs now.

Dancing Branflake said...

Seriously, I am wearing the same top I wore to yoga. Three hours ago. He would not be impressed with me, haha! I love that picture though. There's so much going on.

Melanie M said...

I love the colors! Very 80s! So whimsy & delightful! :D


MELANIELIKES.BLOGSPOT.COM
Follow?<3

Fashion Court said...

i've never heard of it before! i kinda like what i see though :o)

UnoCosa said...

dear - thanks for writing a wonderful post - right now, i'm working on a brand that has a long history, otherwise, i would not be aware of - it's so interesting to do the before/now comparison and to see the ever evolving changes -

nice montage, xx

B a la Moda said...

Interesting color effect.-


xoxo
B* a la Moda

Romany said...

Cool photo! Don't know much about JOOP!'s clothes, but I remember the perfumes - they're still around, no?
Ooh I always wondered what that word meant. Thank you!
Romany
xx

Make Do Style said...

They have a wonderful shop on Mount Street.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Do they? Will go there then. They might have nicer shop assistants...
Thanks for the tip!

Pratishtha Durga said...

Joop! sounds good. I only know the brand through their perfume, which I adore. Will read up more on the brand.
Wunderkind, on the other hand, I have hard of. I love their colors and fun lines.

stacey kelly said...

i'd never heard of him... so interesting!

xx

fall in love with vika gazinskaya...
http://youareashootingstar.blogspot.com/

Juliet said...

There's some 80s power colors!

juliet xxx

wulanasihsetyarini said...

the joop is great,,
i love the photo on this post..
lovely!

Imogen said...

I didn't know about this before but it is interesting to find out about now. The picture is amazing. I love the combination of colours and different prints.

marian said...

Love that line, it also inspires.
Happy friday honey,wishing you and yours a gorgeous weekend
xoxo
marian.
xoxo
marian

Couture Millinery Atelier. said...

I have never heard of JOOP, but it does sounds like something out of the 80-s! :-)))Fantastic colors, very bright and brave. :-)

Nat said...

There is a beautiful Wunderkind boutique in Mayfair London - 16 Mount Street. I promise you will be warmly welcomed to look...shop... or just have tea and conversation!

SabinePsynopsis said...

Thank you, Nat. Make Do Style already corrected my ignorance. I will definitely go there!

The Little Fashion Treasury said...

Einen wunderschönen GUTEN ABEND liebe Sabine!

Mr. Wolfgang Joop.. I think he is more and more scaring me with his personality, I honestly have to say that the whole Joop family is kind of unfriendly to me (especially his daughter Jette). BUT I have to confess: his newest Wunderkind collection is so gorgeous! There are lots of pieces I truly love so much!

SabinePsynopsis said...

Me, too! But now that I know there is a shop in London, too, I don't have to go past the scary sa anymore...

Haute World said...

Just saw your wonderful feature. I never did get around to visiting the Vintage boutique, but the German quality of service doesn't really surprise me ;-) Though I will say that the two SAs in the regular boutique were very helpful and charming so I'd recommend you go there.

Joop is quite a character though. I know he's annoyed a lot of people with his politically incorrect comments and Jette is a bit of a character as well.