27.5.10

The Other Side of the Picture

Buggers, I totally forgot that I received an email telling me that Olivier Theyskens will be in London to sign his book 'The Other Side of the Picture' at Liberty London today. I would have loved to meet the man who reminds me of a beautiful Jesus (isn't this picture so Caravaggio-esque? I would really like to know by whom it is) and who came up with some amazing creations, both for Rochas and for Nina Ricci.
Olivier Theyskens was born in Brussels (another Belgian genius? How come this country seems to breed incredible designers a la Dries van Noten or Ann Demeulemeester?!) According to Wiki he would really rather have been a girl because 'girls got to be princesses and wear skirts'. Although he had dropped out of design school at 20 he was made artistic director of the fashion house Rochas just aged 25 (Sarah Mower called his first collection for Rochas 'nothing short of magnificent'). In 2006, not even 30 years old, he became artistic director of Nina Ricci where his couture-like creations were reverred and worn by celebrities (actually Madonna had worn one of his designs already in 1997 to the Oscars); but his ideal of 'stopping global vulgarity' by concentrating on the art of designing clothes, 'neglecting' advertising and not succumbing to cheap accessory lines finally led to the end of his tenure.

At €100/$120 (but I think it’s cheaper at amazon) the book isn’t exactly a bargain. But Julien Claessens' photography really is beautiful. If you want to have a look (for free) you can do this
here.

Olivier Theyskens 'The Other Side of the Picture'. Photography by Julien Claessens, Text by Sally Singer. Publisher Assouline

Source: Rochas RTW Fall 2003, from here

31 comments:

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

Beautiful...the 2nd photograph reminds me of a Rembrandt painting!
xo

MissNeira said...

He is pretty amazing that man! and love that jacket she is wearing


xoxo
Miss Neira

Sandra said...

Thanks for the comment!
I love when the sun shines, can't stand the cold/wet weather... I just realised when I came to England, even though it's beautiful in summertime.

Xo
Sandra

http://dearlookbook.blogspot.com

The Zhush said...

A beautiful Jesus! Loved that...too bad you forgot...you sound just like me!

Maddy said...

I'll have to check out the book at my local bookstore. It's sad that a lot of really amazing designers fade into oblivion because the business side of things was neglected. Unfortunately, sheer talent doesn't speak for itself anymore. You have to be talented AND business minded in order to make it.

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

The 17th century Dutch painter Jan Steen would have loved to paint this fellow. How unfortunate that you missed the book event. Some artists do not wish their work to become overly "commercial" - It has nothing to do with being business minded. The soul of the artist is quite different, it's a fragile place where greed does not always fit;-)

BarelyVogue said...

How beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

xx
Sahi
www.barelyvogue.com

shari @ little blue deer said...

He is sooo talented! I love these lesser known designers. Dolce and Gabbana, Calvin Klein, I mean, yeah, they're super talented, but it's the ones that fly slightly below the radar I'm most interested in. Love!

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

I love the shoes in that first picture. They are lovely.
What an interestin post! I really enjoyed it.

Dancing Branflake said...

Incredible. For real, I loved Nina Ricci during his time there. Seriously took the label to another level.

That's quite and expensive book. Thanks for the link!

fashionfamous said...

So original!

♥Raquel... :)

janettaylor said...

WOW! Amazing!

CC said...

Two words: Epic Fabulosity! I really want it too but my mom is still "thinking about it." ;)
Xx

THESTREETFASHION5XPRO said...

very beautiful...the second pict is amazing

Leah said...

Love the book... I hope I can get one at Amazon. It will be a fabulous coffeetable book. xoxo

Silver Strands said...

Wow. What talent!
oxoxox
Denalee

Tuesday said...

I kinda notice that too, Belgians seem to be very artistic and talented, would love to check that book too. The second pic is perfectly gorgeous!

SabinePsynopsis said...

Heeello! Update! I just read on Susie Bubble (who naturally went and also had an interview with him) that Mr Theyskens' new project is a collaboration with Theory. Really looking forward to more affordable Theyskens designs.

Fashionistable said...

OMG that picture of him is amazing. Thanks for sharing. Xxxxx

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

That's such an amazing photo of him! He's fabulous. So want to check out this book. It is a bit pricey though, huh? It might just tempt me though :)

Nemerae said...

I absolutely love Tehyskens designs at Nina Ricci. I felt terrible when he was fired.. do you know if he is going to design for any other Maison??
xx

INTRO TO MY LIFE said...

i wish i could meet him to, his work and his story is amazing.
p.s. i am in love with that first picture

Le Sigh of a Fashionista said...

Stunning. Absolutely beautiful!

drollgirl said...

I LOVE CARAVAGGIO!!!! he is one of my favorites. and photo number two is a reverential tribute to that grand painting master. LOVE IT!!!

Heather said...

ooh so cool! your right is is a ltlle exy for a book, but it is probably very beautiful and heavy...

Meho M said...

Wow that's one seriously good photo of him.. and the hair!!


the man is a genius i think he brought something to Nina Ricci that we wont see again.. i wonder what he's gonna do next?

Meho xx

Pratishtha Durga said...

Oh... that's an amazing picture of him. I am sure the book, though expensive, will be worth the money.

notjustmedical said...

No, I didn't go to the exhibition! I really would like to though, it looked so glamorous! Will force boyfriend to go with me.

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

Ferferi said...

He is a genious AND a hottie... Love his hair. Makes me so jelaous!

WeShop said...

Oh, I've never heard of him. Thanks for the intro. xx

Angie Muresan said...

Wow! He's got gorgeous hair!