If you followed fashion weeks (if you didn't you probably couldn't care less – though never forget Miranda Priestley's words about how cerulean 'filtered down' into the high street…) do you also feel confused and overwhelmed by shapes and colours and cuts and sparkles and whatsnot? In times of confusion I resort to making lists; since lists give me hope that there might be sense and logic and structure in all this chaos.
So here is my (totally subjective) comprehensive list on autumn/winter 11/12:
- Knee-high boots will be back (especially slouchy, 70s style ones; reminding me of the ones my mum used to have: latte-coffee coloured, softest leather, sturdy heel… All my childhood I was willing my feet to grow big enough to fit into them, but they never managed. So in the end I think my sister snapped them up.)
- Pointy shoes! (Now why did I sent these back again?)
- Clerical purple. What I really liked about the collections was that the whole colour blocking continued, but on a much more subtle level. The master of it all must have been Haider Ackermann, but Marni's colour combinations were quite magical, too.
- Every shade of blue (be it turquoise, midnight, cerulean, lapis…) is totally IT.
- Polka dots (mmmhh…)
- Long, lean coats
- Turtle necks under everything
- and… thanks to Karl Lagerfeld the skinny is not dead. No, it's alive and kicking and I adore Karl for taking all these street style cues and incorporating them into a collection.
- Aahh, and shoulders… round. Widthwise they can be anything – from 3 Arnie Schwarzeneggers to the slimmest 30s cuts. Do as you like – which in my mind is always the best advise when it comes to dressing.
What did I not see: 50s influences and flats (phew!). So, what do you say… Are you ready for pointy knee-high boots, 80s blazers, blue and purple polka dots and channeling your inner existentialist?
Even though this space is devoted to pure escapism and unhinged frivolity I'm finding it impossible not to say that my thoughts and hopes are with the people of Japan and Libya. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. Muah, muah!
shoes: jil sander, tights: wolford, coat: zara, fedora: pachacuti