25.8.11

Take 10 | Lomography Diana Camera

Psynopsis Diana Camera Collage
Believe me, we were super excited when the Lomo people offered us free choice of a Diana camera. What could be better fitting than celebrating Take 10's 1st birthday with cute and colourful retro cameras? The Diana F+ Black Jack reminds me a bit of my trusted Olympus and of the good old days when I spent hours in broom cupboards struggling to insert film into the development roll and nights in darkrooms, all hyped up and intoxicated by chemical fumes…

Aaanyway, the camera arrived and it's so retro, lightweight and cute that I just want to carry it around my neck and feel like I belong to the Mad Men crew... and that was it for me. For now. Perhaps being married to Photoshop and indulging in a little affair on the side with Instagram doesn't leave any space in my pictorial love life for an affair with Diana… But that's just me, that's just now. I've got a feeling I might well come back to Diana - there must be a reason for the HUGE Lomography fan club.

Now, the most important thing: Diana needs real film (yeap, she's a well old-fashioned girl) which you can buy in shops or on the website. There you can also find loads of pictures and tips a la the '10 Golden Rules' which I love because they are fun and apply pretty much to photography (and somehow to life) in general:

1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
2. Use it any time, day and night.
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
4. Try the shot from the hip. (Well, that has never worked for me, but hey, don't we all want to be David Bailey?)
5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as possible.
6. "Don't think." (William Firebrace)
7. Be fast. (We can't stress that enough.)
8. You don't have to know beforehand what you've captured on film.
9. … and you don't necessarily have to know afterwards either.
10. Don't worry about any rules.

Psynopsis Zara Leopard Dress Diana Camera

Plus, a few more self-made rules: Don't worry about how much like a pekingese you look when grinning, and never-ever mind the shortness of your skirt.

Tell me, do you have any Lomography experience? And before I finish this longest of long posts... Don't forget to check out the camera stories of the other Take Tenners: … Sarah, MJ, Sherin, Vicki, Susie, Ellie, Paula, Harriet and Jen.
dress: zara, tennis shoes: adidas, camera: Lomography Diana F+ Black Jack

bloglovingoogle friend connecttwitter

38 comments:

Aesthetic Alterations said...

My Holga--a plastic medium-format camera--is my favorite camera these days. The effects on trees is amazing. When I took in my portfolio to a top gallery around here, the oooing and ahhhing was over the texture of the Holga pictures. Great work out of a $15 throwaway.

Hmmm, I want to get on Lomo's radar! Great gift.

Zarna said...

looks like an awesome camera!

Dancing Branflake said...

So fun! I was just telling Lillian from Unstitched how we could go back to film and be "one shot" photographers. You are beautiful!

Harriet said...

Ooh I love those rules of lomography - I hadn't seen them before. I admit the ease of instagram and my digital camera mean laziness has overcome me and thus far I haven't managed any lomo photos, but I've bought the damn film now so I'm going to make myself take some pictures with it!

ediot said...

oh i want a camera like that. and i want lots of other cameras too.. like a yashica and an polaroid too..
now you got me tempted to go search for cameras again ;)
xx

alicia said...

LOVE these photos.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

So fun! I love lomography. Many of my wedding photos were taken with a Holga. So cool that you got a Diana! :)

janettaylor said...

OMG! SOoo cool! :D

Philippa said...

awesome lomo snaps! xx
http://pip-box.blogspot.com/

INTRO TO MY LIFE said...

so cool, i want that camera

Noelle Chantal said...

Beautiful lomo pics!! Very vintage looking!! And your animalistic dress, very nice on you too! :)

Kavery said...

I sometimes use the Lomography filter on Picnik for a similar effect. But a camera that does this truly awesome. Love the last shot

Sherin said...

I loved the cameras. They're all gorgeous. Your pictures came out great. Can't wait to take mine out properly.

Kazuko said...

what an awesome thing! but you know what's really gorgeous? you in your leo dress! and your ear rings... beautiful!

the nyanzi report said...

cool gadget.

Pratishtha Durga said...

The cameras look awesome. The pictures have come out great! I love that last picture! So raw and honest :)

Hope you have a great weekend ahead.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Thank you, Pratishtha! I call it Living-up-to-my-crow's-feet.

Leia said...

Those cameras are so cute! Love the photos they take, too.

Leia

Maddy said...

What an awesome Take #10!! I heard that the Diana is way more reliable than my Holga, so I'm thinking I may get one. The photos are so cute!

Vix said...

You look gorgeous in leoprad print and such a pretty smile, too.
There's something wildly exciting about collecting your prints from the photography shop and leafing through them to see what you've captured. Digital photography definitely takes the thrill away.
I bought Jon a Lomography Fisheye a few years back and we also picked up a Coloursplash for 25p from a car boot sale. x

Suze said...

great pics!

PinkBow said...

I absolutely love the bench pic, definitely my favourite.

The Foolish Aesthete said...

Wow, lomography looks really fun judging from your results! The Top 10 rules are great words to live by :-)

Rachel - Firebird said...

I adore my lomography cameras (I have a Diana Mini, Holga, Fisheye and Colorsplash) but have to send my films to Sheffield to get them processed by someone that doesn't write them all off as 'mistakes'. They are wonderful though and you can't beat film.

You look gorgeous grinning

Tanvi said...

I think I would like one! :)

♡ from © tanvii.com

styleeast said...

want want want! Love these shots, and your top tips! x

styleeast said...

want want want! Love these shots, and your top tips! x

Mat said...

well photography is what brought me and my gf together, we shared a classroom and i asked her to help me one time and the rest is history. we got super obsessed with lomo when we started, 6 years later and i never leave my camera at home

rebecca said...

i love lomo! i only have a fisheye right now, but it's my darling (:

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Rosalind said...

You're making me feel all inspired about getting out my film cameras (inherited from parents/grandparents). The only drawback is the cost of the films and developing. I have to say though that wearing the Diana slung nonchalantly around your neck really DOES make you look like an extra in Mad Men!

danniekate said...

my favourite yet, without a doubt. i love how much fun you've had with it! xx

Kelly-Ann said...

Nice gadget. Everyone who received one seems to be pleased with it.

WeShop said...

I LOVE this post - you look soooo happy in that last pic. xx

Sleekit said...

The last pic of you is a cracker, you look hot in that dress lady...nice camera too, great effects ;)

Sleekit x

Fashionistable said...

I know they look cute but when I bought one I had to send it back as it fell apart the 1st time I took it out. Yes there there is a huge fan base out there but I don't know why either. Cool challenge. Great shots of and from you as always. Xxxx

Cindy Whitehead said...

Now that is cool! I love these cameras - Urban Outfitters here in the US sells them - so many styles etc! Looks like you had a blast! (love yr short skirt btw!!) xo

drollgirl said...

i want one! from time to time i read a blog post about it, and then i want one. and then i forget about it. and the cycle repeats. gah! i just need to GET ONE!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

aaaw so far my favorite Take 10! Love your pics!