When I met Kate the first time I felt immediately connected because a) she's from Australia (where I lived as a child), b) her husband is a good cook (if times get too hard mine will have to bring in the dosh as sushi chef), c) she loves to travel (so do I, but she actually has lived and worked in all these places… Papua New Guinea, Japan, Dubai, Cameroon…). Kate is also incredibly cultured (I think she sees more theatre, concerts and opera in a week than I do in a year) and has just finished her first novel 'Walking Distance' (not her first book, mind you), and she's one of the nicest people I've ever come across… (and dang, I want her hair!). Here are Kate's London tips...
• My favourite place is… Southbank. I know it's cheating but I can't pick just one thing I love.
• It's special because… When I first moved to London in 2004, I worked near London Bridge. Being an Aussie, I like to be near water. Whenever I could escape the office, I'd walk along the Thames to clear my head.
• The best time to come is… Fridays – it's too crowded on the weekend and Borough Market is open.
• Don't miss… The grocer at Borough market who sings Italian arias beneath the train tracks. The Wright Brothers' Oyster and Porter House for brilliant seafood. The Tate Modern and Millienium bridge. The booksellers under Waterloo Bridge. The Globe. The typical London views. I could go on and on and on.
• I couldn’t part with… People aside, my favourite books. I've carried them with me through nine international moves.
• My favourite smell is… bread baking, coffee brewing.
• I love to travel to… anywhere. New places and new faces are a constant craving.
• My favourite city is… London. I'm from Sydney and have lived and travelled all over the place, but London makes me the happiest.
• I love to drink/eat at… home. My husband is French and English and a master in the kitchen. My second favorite place (this week) is Bob Bob Ricard in Soho. I was taken for the first time there recently and fell in love.
• I love to shop at… home. I'm an online shopper all the way, though I spend far more money on books from Amazon than anywhere else.
• The best thing I bought lately was… a cream blouse from Cos. It was an impulse, but I can't stop wearing it.
• My current favourite read is… too hard to nail down. I should say something challenging and literary, but I've only just fallen in love with reading again having finished writing a novel. The book that got me back on track was The Distinguished Guest by Sue Miller. She's an American author who always delves beneath the fabric of human interaction in a very adult way (and no, I don't mean dirty). I love all her books.
• My favourite website… I'm in love with Pinterest. It's made my life so much easier. You can find me here.
• Cat or Dog? Both. I love all animals. I only have a cat at the moment because I don't have the time to give a dog all the attention that he or she would need.
websites & locations:
Kate's blog: I Am Not a Celebrity • Borough Market • Wright Brothers Oyster & Porter House • Tate Modern • Shakespeare’s Globe • Bob Bob Richard • Amazon UK • COS • Kate’s Pinterest • You can have a peek into Kate's novel 'Walking Distance' here •
bag: knomo, blouse: cos, jeans: j brand, shoes: tracey neuls, blazer: joseph, leather jacket: kenneth cole, book necklace: from her friend Nadia in New York, bought at catbird in williamsburg (as a reminder of Kate's true purpose)
more favourite places:
Isa | 'The Junk Shop' | London
Fiona | Brick Lane | London
Daniela | The Albion | London
Sherin | Alexandra Palace | London
bloglovin • google friend connect • tumblr • facebook • twitter