19.9.12

LFW | J.W. Anderson SS13

Psynopsis LFW  SS13 J.W. Anderson

Psynopsis LFW  SS13 J.W. Anderson Beige Suit

Psynopsis LFW  SS13 J.W. Anderson Dresses
London Fashion Week came and went in a jiffy, and somehow I didn't take much part in the action this time – too busy with the move, and also a bit fed up with hanging around Somerset House feeling I should point my camera at people who so obviously want to get photographed… And it really goes against my self-respect to pap well-known magazine editors and celebrities who these days find it hard not to scowl at cameras (and who can blame them, they're actually there for work). Plus, can you call anything around fashion week really 'street style' anymore?

But I did jump at the chance to see J.W. Anderson – who with a NEWGEN award, Topshop collaboration, Sunspel creative directorship, having moved from men's wear now also to designing for women – feels like the next big thing in British fashion… And while hanging around in my humble standing space, waiting for the show to start I looked at the collected Who's Who of the fashion industry in the front rows... Alexandra Schulman, Suzy Menkes, Taylor Tomasi-Hill, Tim Blanks, Elisa Nalin, Paula Reed, Amanda Harlech, Derek Blasberg, Hilary Alexander, Stefano Tonchi, Caroline Issa, Yasmin Sewell, Susie Bubble, Cathy Horyn… Were all there, even though it was the last show of the day. The boy definitely has pull.

And the show? Loved the neoprene trousers (which aren't really neoprene, but screen-printed cotton sponge) and the no-nonsense masculine/feminine mix, and maaaan would I love to own one of these beautiful cut-out wool sweaters. ♥ ♥ ♥
Psynopsis LFW  SS13 J.W. Anderson Grey Sweater

bloglovingoogle friend connecttumblrfacebooktwitter

23 comments:

Kazuko said...

the first paragraph of this post - i agree 100%. not that i'm taking pictures myself, but i do get tired of seeing those pics of the same people every day all over the blogsphere. as for j.w. anderson - so jealous that you had the chance to attend. i loved his collection.

Harriet said...

your photos are amazing!

also totally agree about the streetscape this weekend - it felt like people weren't expressing themselves, just what they thought would get them noticed.

Sherin said...

I agree about Somerset House. There are so many overly dressed people!
This show looks amazing. Loving the collection.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Oh thank you, Harriet. I've got a new camera and the show was the first time I tried it out...

Mat said...

this looks bloody good, spongey trousers ay. his menswear is top notch too. berlin, yes! good idea

Vix said...

Great pictures, Sabine. I do like the texture of those neoprene trousers although I'm not sure how they'd fare in real life! x

janettaylor said...

Perfect photos, definitely!

Veshoevius said...

Having a snigger at your first paragraph, many home truths - btw have you seen this article? Might interest you!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/fashion/new-york-fashion-week-street-style-is-often-a-billboard-for-brands.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1348162521-ujzT9SbtZLyE8Lk0t41A5Q

drollgirl said...

i love how it looks soft, yet firm, structured, yet pliable, and that there are NO WRINKLES. it all looks amazing!!!

SabinePsynopsis said...

Thank you for the link, Veshoevius - that's a really interesting article... I think most of us have a hunch how it works, but not to which extend.

The Foolish Aesthete said...

Oh, I love these spongy, neoprene things! And you are certainly hobnobbing with the who's who there (and I am certainly not, given that I only recognized about 5 of those you listed!).

I just saw you write you are using a new camera. Your photos have been phenomenal. What are you using, if you care to share some secrets? -- J xx

SabinePsynopsis said...

J - Up to now I've been using a Nikon D60 which is a really nice DSLR, but have now upgraded to the Nikon D800 which is a full frame camera - the quality is just amazing.

Rosalind said...

Sponge trousers - wow! The construction gives them such great shape.

Fashion art and other fancies said...

I adore the trousres and also agree with the lovely and stylish Rosalind. Trust all is well with you. I have not been a good blog friend due to terribly busy travel schedule. Nice to see images of the shows here on your delightful blog. I am in Milan, hiding from the street-style photographers;-)

danniekate said...

how can we always miss each other?! hope you're well, lovely, be great to see you soon. xx

SACRAMENTO said...

Brilliant photos Sabine.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fashionistable said...

Lovely shots for the side of the catwalk. I was so happy you got in after your wait and that you managed to get such a good view. I know what you mean about the editors - but this is now part of their job and they get to wear some great clobber as a result. It is all exposure for the brands. I like to strike a balance with them and the others I see. Xxxx

Maddy said...

Haven't been around these parts in a while! London Fashion Week, eh? Any chance you're still there and we can meet up when I go to visit in two weeks?! :)

SabinePsynopsis said...

Argh Maddy, I've just moved to Berlin. Too sad!! Hope you have a great time in London.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Hi Sabine! Hope the move went well. Been thinking of you. Looks like you caught a great show. Those "neoprene" trousers are incredible :) xoxo

danniekate said...

sabine! these photographs are breathtaking! i'm so going to have to book you for some outfit shots, my word! xx

adireg said...

i love this posted

cindy whitehead said...

Looks like it was a great show!! And I love your very honest take on "street style" - so true.